[c-nsp] bgp & static default route?

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 12:34:45 EDT 2005

Anecdote related to defaults:

I was talking to Patrick Gilmore about a stupid
coworker when I was working at {very,very large ISP} -
I mentioned how this coworker had logged into an edge
router with > 1000 or so customers, and SHUT DOWN THE
LOOPBACK address.  This of course totally hosed the
iBGP, but even worse, the customers (for the most
part) stayed up, so they were totally blackholing
traffic.  Even worse, this was the TACACS+ source
interface, so TACACS didn't work, and the sudden
change had caused the console port to become
unresponsive.  A tech had to go out to the site to
reload the router(which was > 2 hours outside a
"major" city) - total outage downtime, ~4 hours.

His response to me: "why don't you always have a
default pointed up one of your uplinks"?

D'oh!

-David

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise: