[c-nsp] BCP for save B/W when transit links are full

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Aug 30 01:40:40 EDT 2005

Well, actually one way to do it is to analyze who your biggest offenders
are in the p2p realm, then run a p2p client yourself and connect to their
server and see what they are doing.  Our experience is that with this
kind of traffic 95% of the users are not the bandwidth hogs, and the 5%
that are hogs are hogs specifically because they are doing vast amounts
of copyrighted file swapping.  When we find that out we warn them to
turn it off, and if they don't we close their account.  (since sharing
copyrighted
files, basically music and movies, is a AUP violation for us)

Once you get rid of the teenagers who are putting their entire 500 CD
music collection online, and the porno swappers, (and you don't want to
know what kind of porno they are swapping) you will find this
kind of traffic will fall off quite rapidly.

Ted