[c-nsp] Re: 7206VXR for DSL Termination

Roger Weeks rjw at mcn.org
Fri Dec 2 12:30:52 EST 2005

We provide DSL termination on our 7206VXR with an NPE300 (256M) and a
PA-A3-T3 DS3 card.

Our setup is a little different in that we're not taking the ATM from
a switch but directly from the Nortel ATM equipment that SBC
provides, so I can't answer anything about the OC3 card setup.

We handle 500+ VCs on this unit with no problems at all, and will be
adding around 300 more in the near future.  Previous replies on this
list have indicated that a 7206VXR should be able to handle 3-4000 VCs.

You have a couple of options to set up static configs.  I don't use
auto build pvcs because it doesn't really work with the way SBC
provisions DSL lines.  If your LEC provides you with a range of VPI/
VCI upfront, then auto build pvcs work fine.  We don't know what VPI/
VCI SBC will give to any particular customer ahead of time, so
frequently we get a mixed bag of non-contiguous numbers.

We started out by using PVC ranges and mostly DHCP addressing, so the
interface config looked something like this:

	int atm2/0.434 point-to-point
	ip unnumbered Loopbackx
	ip helper-address x.x.x.x
  	no ip unreachables
  	ip flow ingress
  	no ip route-cache
  	no ip mroute-cache
  	atm route-bridged ip
	range pvc 4/34 4/55
		class-range classADSL

	vc-class atm classADSL
	  ubr 6216
   	  encapsulation aal5snap

You can specify different vc-classes with different settings, this
one is obviously for 6mb DSL customers.

After a while, however, the ranges get broken up because we have
static IP customers also, so the ranges get fragmented.  Just
recently we converted to having a single configuration for each PVC,
because the ranges are too difficult to manage with our number of
circuits.

Either of these setups mirror your redback setup, route-bridged 1483
with private ARPs, it's not a shared network between DSL users.

One thing you will run into eventually when you have enough circuits,
especially if you use single configs for each PVC, is that the NVRAM
on your 7206 is too small to hold your config.  You'll need to store
the startup-config elsewhere:
		boot config disk0:startup-config
This writes a flag into nvram telling it to look on disk0: for the
startup config.  After you run this command (and also put it in your
startup config), a dir nvram: will show that your large startup
config is in nvram, but it really gets loaded from the other location.

With regards to IOS version, I finally ended up on 12.3T.  Initially
I went with 12.2.25S on the recommendation of another ISP, but I had
two problems:
	1.  The range pvc command works in 12.2.25S, but it has
	bugs, and when I opened a trouble ticket for the bugs,
	I found that the feature was not "supported" in this IOS
	version.
	2.  The S train doesn't include the ability to do ATM OAM
	pings, which is a damn useful feature that allows you to
	verify that your LEC has actually provisioned the circuit:

#ping
Protocol [ip]: atm
ATM Interface: atm2/0.4034
VPI value [0]: 4
VCI value [1]: 34
Loopback - End(0), Segment(1) [0]:
Repeat Count [5]:
Timeout [2]:
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 53-byte end-to-end OAM echoes, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 8/11/12 ms

Hope this helps.  I have had no stability issues with 12.3T at all.

I also recommend checking out the book "Cisco ISP Essentials" from
Cisco Press for lots of details on securing and managing a Cisco
router in a border/ISP environment.  There are a lot of things on by
default in IOS that shouldn't be in an ISP.

--
Roger J. Weeks
Systems & Network Administrator