[c-nsp] 7206VXR for DSL Termination

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Sat Dec 3 08:28:12 EST 2005

Denny Reiter <denny at reiters.org> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 10:09:42AM -0600, J Springer wrote:
>> 1) number of VCs that this box could realistically handle
>
> I have a 7206VXR with an NPE-G1 and 256M running 5400 VCs over two
> OC3s, with about 2400-2500 active at any one time.

On a related note, in my application we speak L2TP to tunnel switches,
so we don't have a heck of a lot of VCs configured (but all heavily
active) simultaneously.  On a typical box, between 2 and 20.

Can anyone comment on running PA-A1-OC3 cards at say 80% bandwidth
(both directions, simultaneously, thank you bittorrent) under those
conditions?  I know that the A1 is roundly despised for lack of
sufficient SAR buffers, but I'm thinking that under my circumstances I
may be able to still win, if there's not something else that I need to
worry about.

Thoughts?

                                        ---Rob