[c-nsp] Negotiation problem with Catalyst 2950 and Cisco 2821

C. Jon Larsen jlarsen at richweb.com
Sat Dec 3 14:39:54 EST 2005

> On 12/3/05, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Reuben, finally someone who isn't a Cisco apologist!  I
> figured it would be OBVIOUS to anyone with HALF A BRAIN that
> setting autonegotiation on both sides should make it "just work"
> out of the box.  This IS cisco-to-cisco gear we are talking about
> here.

I find it quite odd that as a service provider you would ever trust your
network to autonegotiation.

Hard code the port - leave nothing to chance. Is just one
extra command, and you should be doing that after you label the port,
with a description and putting it in a vlan, correct ?

With the exception of some cheap nics (and older drivers on windows
servers) I have never seen hardcoding **both** sides to full duplex 10 or
100 fail to produce good results. Failing to set speed and duplex will
(even if it works at first) usually bite you down the road i.e. typically
in a late nite reboot situation when it fails and one side is full and
the other side is in half (the default).

That being said autonegotiate **should** work in most cases, but why leave
it to chance for anything important like a switch to switch or a switch
to router or switch to customer handoff ? Ciscos have always had
autonegotiate problems, dating back to the 5000 and 5500 switches, its
nothing new.

Even with Bay and 3com switches (which do seem to work better with
autonegotiate) I always hardcoded (to full duplex) the server side with
mii-tool and the switch side with whatever tool the switch OS provides.
Guess I am old fashioned.

-jon