[c-nsp] 7304 NPE-G100 vs. NSE-100

Cory Ayers cayers at ena.com
Mon Dec 12 17:46:01 EST 2005

Hello,

We have been running Cisco 7206/NPE-G1 with tremendous success, but
recently decided to purchase a Cisco 7304/NPE-G100 for OC-12
aggregation.  We have other 7206 routers we are looking to replace, but
are concerned with CPU.  The router in question is pushing 420Mbps
throughput, 105kpps, and sitting at around 80% CPU load.  Based on what
I'm seeing with the 7304/NPE-G100 (40% CPU at 200Mbps), it will also
fail around 500Mbps throughput.

Does anyone have statistics on a 7304/NSE-100?  The data sheet states it
can push 4Gbps bidirectional throughput and 3.5Mpps using PXF
architecture.  I would like to know how much growth the NSE-100 will
really give and if there are any caveats to running the NSE-100 vs the
NPE-G100.  I have looked through the PXF information and believe most of
our traffic will be PXF switched.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps352/prod_maint
enance_guide09186a008057410a.html

Thank you for any feedback!