[c-nsp] 7206VXR crashing every day

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Dec 13 11:38:01 EST 2005

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Vincent De Keyzer wrote:

> System returned to ROM by processor memory parity error at PC 0x6174F640,
> address 0x0 at 10:42:12 CET Sun Dec 11 2005
> Last reset from watchdog reset

> System returned to ROM by error - an Error Interrupt, PC 0x607F55C0 at
> 23:08:23 CET Mon Dec 12 2005
> Last reset from watchdog reset

> The last crashinfo failed to be written.
> Please verify the exception crashinfo configuration
> the filesytem devices, and the free space on the
> filesystem devices.
> Using crashinfo_FAILED.
> %Error opening crashinfo_FAILED (File not found)

> Does anybody know why it couldn't write the crashinfo to bootflash?
> PS: There is a bootflash:
> GENLBBro71#sh file systems | i bootflash
>     3407872        3996     flash     rw   bootflash:

It looks like your bootflash doesn't have enough free space to write the
crashinfo file.  <4k is not enough room.  crashinfo file sizes can vary
greatly depending on everything from IOS revision to configuration, to
what the router was doing at the time of the crash.  I've found them
to typically be a few hundred kbytes each.  YMMV.

If you don't have the room on your bootflash, you can tell the router
where to write the crashinfo files by using subsets of the "exception"
configuration command, i.e. "exception crashinfo file disk0:filename" or
something similar.

The errors above could point to a number of things - bad memory or a flaky
NPE would not surprise me.

jms