[c-nsp] 7304 NPE-G100 vs. NSE-100

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Dec 14 02:23:29 EST 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Aivars wrote:

> If G100 is not an option because of lack of performance and NSE-100
> because of bugs, what choice is there for an aggregator? 10008, SUP720,
> SUP32 or another vendor. The price of 10k is just smashing and
> afterwards you unwillingly start comparing SUP720 with NSE-100 and
> with features do you really need and witch you can get rid of.

We have quite a lot of NSE-100 in the field and a lot of our customers
traffic is passing thru them (a lot of our IP<->MPLS is done on NSE-100,
and the killer app for the NSE-100 is hierical QoS for our part).

I have found that there is little alternative in this space apart from the
NSE-100, the G1 lacks performance, and OSM/SIP cards are just too "big"
for us, with their several ports and quite high price. We chose the
NSE-100 almost three years ago, have gone thru quite some pain with it,
but now it works quite well, even though we have bug cases frequently and
we end up upgrading IOS every 4-6 months or so (but this seems to be the
case for any Cisco platform doing anything advanced).

Juniper has a hard time competing in this space as the m7i only has a
single port and you need to add an additional QPP to this, bringing up the
price a lot.

What else is there? I guess there is a reason for people going the Huawei
route, but I have no experience with them.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se