[c-nsp] 100 meg throughput

barney gumbo barney.gumbo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 08:47:34 EST 2005

>From what I understand, "show interface summ" present the exact same data
that is presented by the rfc1213 MIB, which is what MRTG/RTG/Cacti etc uses
by default for tracking interface in/out bw utilization.  The data that show
int summ presents (if I recall correctly) is updated within 5 seconds and is
not the same as the load 30 or default 5 minute averages.

RTG is a great program for polling at 1 minute intervals, and it doesn't age
out data like MRTG.  This means it has a more complicated config and admin
requirements then MRTG, however it does work well.  It's amazing the traffic
utilization you can see with 1 min avg's as opposed to 5 min avgs.