[c-nsp] purposefully mismatching native vlans

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Fri Dec 23 11:37:39 EST 2005

Dan Martin wrote:

> I'm not asking rhetorically here, i'm hoping somebody can tell me why
> disabling spanning tree is so compelling.  I've seen a carrier with a
> bunch of Ethernet out toward their customers disable spanning tree, and
> I just dismissed it as goofy, but now with this thread I'm starting to
> wonder if its me that has it all wrong.

Well in situations where the STP behavior can become unpredictable
(connecting to 3rd parties, devices with "strange" support etc...) a
valid design philosophy is

Better to fail completely in a predictable manner due to an immediately
traceable condition than to fail in unknown ways at unpredictable times
(most likely the worst possible ones) due to probably non-obvious causes.