[c-nsp] Re: Netflow traffic study

Gerry Boudreaux gerry at tape.net
Thu Dec 29 01:19:36 EST 2005

In a previous job, we were analyzing netflow data to look for unusual
patterns, like resi customers making too many smtp connections in a 5
minute window, or portscans, etc....

most were custom written perl scripts, but we used the results of our
analysis to push filters to specific customer interfaces, and then
expired them after two weeks, assuming that either the customer would
have fixed the problem, or the scanner would re-capture them.

We also pushed the results to a searchable web-page for support to
use to troubleshoot issues like "Why cannot I sent e-mail?"  um well,
you tried to send 50000 messages in a 5 minute window, and you are a
resi customer, you might have a virus...

By limiting unwanted traffic, you might save money by not needing
additional upstream bandwidth.

Just one possibility on how you can manipulate netflow data.  Use
your imagination.