[c-nsp] Load Balancing, Part II

Roy garlic at garlic.com
Thu Dec 29 13:52:16 EST 2005

Hi.

Thanks to all who responded on my load balancing question on different
protocols.  Now onto part II of the quiz :-)

I have two routers R1 and R2 attached to a single customer C.  The
routers are connected via BGP with R1 and R2 as members of a
confederation.  I would like to load balance between the path R1-C and
R1-R2-C.

show ip bgp 1.1.1.0
BGP routing table entry for 1.1.1.0/24, version 8665091
Paths: (2 available, best #1, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
Multipath: eBGP iBGP
  4000
    1.2.0.1 from 1.2.0.1
      Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 100, valid, external, best
  (65002) 4000
    1.3.0.1 (metric 20) from 1.3.0.1
      Origin IGP, metric 0, localpref 100, valid, confed-external

BGP doesn't seem to want to install both routes.  The AS length is the
same since the confederation AS (65002) gets removed.  How can one
determine why it won't multipath?

Roy