[c-nsp] 6500 w/sup32 as BGP edge router?

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Feb 2 10:42:25 EST 2005

Dan,

I saw your question and waited to see if someone
would give you some experience from what they
had.

The sup720 combination with MSFC3 and enough memory on the
MSFC should do what you need.  Especially if you only
have 256M on your 72xx/75xx's.

The architecture is totally different from
the sup1a becuase it used MLS to create the
hardware forwarding shortcuts.

With the sup2 and new sup's the FIB is programmed
directly in hardware.  There will be some traffic
punted to the MSFC to create shortcuts with NAT
but once the translation is build it should be
hardware forwarded.

Here is something I was just looking at on CCO:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4835/products_data_sheet09186a0080159856.html

You would get the Flewxan card to put your existing
PA's in.

Rodney