[c-nsp] 6500 w/sup32 as BGP edge router?

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Feb 2 11:39:13 EST 2005

>I have a bunch of 7500/7200's running in the field connected to 6509's
>with VLANs between them.  In these configurations, I am running OSPF,
>BGP, and NAT.  I am thinking about buying new supervisors for the 6500's
>and some VIP carriers to merge these two boxes.  My questions:
>Processing power and memory on the SUP720's?  Is it enough to do what I
>need in this configuration?

I would say so, not having seen your config etc. Suggest getting with your
local account team to analyze that.

In terms of OSPF, BGP, & NAT, we can do all those. We do have h/w
accelerated NAT in sup720 for TCP & UDP traffic.

>On the 75/7200's I have 256MB ram on the
>NPE or RSP's, with the MAX of 128/256 on the VIPs for the 7500 series
>routers.  I would like to have the ability to run 512MB or RAM on the
>SUP's.

Sure, you can do that.

>  Will CEF work correctly with my current linecards?

I assume you are meaning you want to use existing PAs from the 72/7500 in a
flexwan carrier card in the 6500? I am not too familiar w/all the WAN
options for 6500, do note that some PAs are not supported.

If you mean will sup720 hardware CEF (FIB/ADJ) work with flexwan, the
answer is yes.

Tim

>Thanks for
>the insight.. //db

At 07:28 AM 2/2/2005, Dan Benson commented:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Catalyst 6500
Cisco Systems, http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759