[c-nsp] BGP/OSPF Default Route Question

Claydon, Tom Tom.Claydon at DobsonTelco.net
Wed Feb 2 15:19:56 EST 2005

I have a question regarding BGP and OSPF that I was hoping I could get
some help with. Here's my scenario:

We have two Cisco 7206VXR's (names are "RT1" and "RT2") that we are
using as border routers, each with a fractional OC3 connection to our
upstream provider, which is sending us a default route only. Those
routers are tied to Cisco 3550's, which are redistributing routes
through OSPF, and all of our ISP gear is then tied to these switches.
Everything works great.

The big problem that we have is that if we have a circuit failure, the
incoming & outgoing traffic does not switch over to the other router.
After doing a lot of reading in Cisco's "BGP Design and Implementation",
they suggest redistributing the default route from the upstream provider
into OSPF - that way in case of a circuit failure, the default route
drops out of the OSPF table, and the other router takes over.

Does anyone have some examples of doing this? Are there other
alternatives to doing what I've suggested above?

Thanks,

= TC

--
Tom Claydon, IT/ATM Network Engineer