[c-nsp] TAC using us as a NPE-G1 bug fix test site

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Feb 7 07:58:20 EST 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 09:26:07AM +0300, Osama I Dosary wrote:
> We have about 4 NPE-G1s (both 7200 and 7301) that keep hanging. After a
> few weeks of dialogue the TAC agent said they identified the bug,
> another customer has it, and that they've made a debug image with a fix.
> Now the TAC agent is asking us to try it. Unfortunately the only way to
> try it is on production, since it needs some load. But we've already
> suffered enough service disruption because of this.
> When I told him such, and that we will wait until the fix is out on
> mainline trains, he said that in order for the DE's (development
> engineers) to apply the fix to mainline IOS we must verify that fix works.
>
> I thought this demand strange, especially when the bug seems
> reproducible, but this is my first encounter with TAC.
> So I wanted to ask: Is this a reasonable demand? Is this how TAC usually
> works, or just for middle east customers?

	This is generally how the TAC works, they need a way to
validate if a bugfix works..  If you're willing to run the image,
please do so as it will allow the bugfix to be available sooner.

	Once they provide you the image, they should place the case
in SW_RELEASE_PEND state, while you await a fixed image to
appear on CCO.  Please don't close the case prior to that, as it
helps Cisco track the cases that are waiting for a rebuild/bugfix
in "CCO" supported software.

	This isn't something that is unique to Cisco, i've seen many
software vendors provide bugfix/debug images to further track down
a problem.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net