[c-nsp] OC12 in a 7500

Alex Rubenstein alex at nac.net
Tue Feb 8 19:17:09 EST 2005

You won't see anywhere near 622 mb/s on the 7507, unless it has only two
routes in the FIB, no features, and all 1500 or 4470 MTU packets.

Real world, expect about 300 mb/s, at best, across a OC12. And, yes, the
SRP card will talk to a telco OC12, but there needs to be a box (or boxes)
speaking SRP on the other end.

I can't recall if there is a straight OC12 POS card for the 7500, but I
am guessing not.

You can get a cheap-ass GSR on ebay or network-resell with a GE and OC12
that should do the trick for only a few thousand. 12008's are cheap these
days.

I've personally had very good luck with OC12 OSM cards on the 6500/7600,
which are capable of line rate without question.