[c-nsp] OC12 in a 7500

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Feb 9 02:35:39 EST 2005

> I'm too up to speed on the 12000 GSR stuff, I'm used to the 7500 with
> the RSP controling the router, and vip's being mini routers for dCEF.
> What exatcly does the CSC, FSC, and GRP do? I'm thinking the GRP runs
> the IOS for routing protocols and interface configuration. I'm not
> quite sure what the CSC, and FSCs do.

Well, the overall architecure is distributed, just as the 7500 w/ dCEF,
so the GRP runs the control plane (mgmt, routing protocols) and
distributes the FIB to the linecards, they do the forwarding. The GRP is
not involved in forwarding (unlike the RSP which can also switch
packets). Linecard forwarding is generally done in hardware using
different hardware forwarding architectures (while the VIPs in a c7500
always use the VIP CPU to software-switch traffic).
CSC and SFC make up the crossbar switching matrix used by the linecards
to switch traffic from one slot to another. CSC+SFC come in different
speeds (2.5, 10 & 40 Gbps per slot).

	oli