[c-nsp] VPN failover / load sharing using IOS?

Luan Nguyen luan.nguyen at mci.com
Wed Feb 9 10:41:27 EST 2005

I put a sample config for you to look at.  My definition of a VPN is the
IPSEC transport mode( or tunnel) over the GRE.  So if you have dual T1 with
their own address from different ISP, then you could build 2 VPNs, one for
each link.  The LAN side - most of the time will be 1918 address?  Then just
use EIGRP or static to create 2 routes equal cost over the 2 GRE tunnels.
If you only have one host talking to one host on the LAN side, then there
will not be load sharing per-destination.  Per packet would do the job
though.  These are T1 so you don't need that object tracking thing.  If you
only have one host to one host then maybe do policy base routing base on the
type of traffics so you could load share somewhat.

crypto isakmp policy 1001

 encr 3des

 hash sha

 authentication pre-share

 group 2

crypto isakmp key connection1 address 1.1.1.1

crypto isakmp key connection2 address 2.2.2.2

!

crypto ipsec transform-set TRANS esp-3des esp-sha-hmac

 mode transport

!

crypto map CryptoMap1 local-address T1_1

crypto map CryptoMap1 1024 ipsec-isakmp

 set peer 1.1.1.1

 set transform-set TRANS

 match address ACL_1

!

crypto map CryptoMap2 local-address T1_2

crypto map CryptoMap2 1024 ipsec-isakmp

 set peer 2.2.2.2

 set transform-set TRANS

 match address ACL_2

!

interface Tunnel1

 description *To 2nd router - T1_1*

 bandwidth 1544

 ip unnumbered fa0/0   <--------Could use static ip like a.a.a.1 on one side
and a.a.a.2 on the other

!*UNNUMBERED TO PRIVATE LAN*

 ip mtu 1440

 tunnel source X.X.X.X

 tunnel destination 1.1.1.1

 crypto map CryptoMap1

!

interface Tunnel2

 description *To 2nd router T1_2*

 bandwidth 1544

 ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0

!*UNNUMBERED TO PRIVATE LAN*

 ip mtu 1440

 tunnel source Y.Y.Y.Y

 tunnel destination 2.2.2.2

 crypto map CryptoMap2

!

interface WAN1

 ip address X.X.X.X 255.255.255.252

 description *WAN 1*

 no ip redirects

 no ip unreachables

 no ip proxy-arp

 duplex full

 speed 100

 crypto map CryptoMap1

!

interface WAN2

ip address Y.Y.Y.Y 255.255.255.252

 description *WAN 2*

 no ip redirects

 no ip unreachables

 no ip proxy-arp

 duplex full

 speed 100

 crypto map CryptoMap2

!

interface FastEthernet0.0

 ip address Z.Z.Z.Z 255.255.255.0

 description *LAN 2*

 no ip redirects

 no ip unreachables

 no ip proxy-arp

 duplex full

!

ip access-list extended ACL_1

 permit gre host X.X.X.X host 1.1.1.1

ip access-list extended ACL_2

 permit gre host Y.Y.Y.Y host 2.2.2.2

!

router eigrp 1

 passive-interface FastEthernet0/0

 network Z.Z.Z.0 0.0.0.255

 no auto-summary

eigrp stub connected

!

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 WAN1_gateway_address

Ip route 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.255 WAN_2_gateway address

Hope that help.

Luan