[c-nsp] VPN failover / load sharing using IOS?

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Wed Feb 9 11:32:32 EST 2005

Luan,

thanks for sharing that.  It definitely helps to look at a config and
visualize whats going on.
Its a twist from what I am familiar with in the sense that your
encrypting the GRE traffic, and
therefore all the stuff inside the GRE will be secure as well, making
encrypted GRE tunnels.

This does seem like a nice way to do it, since either circuit could go
down, and both are available
for use.  As far as per-packet......I am thinking that may not work
well, since these are really two very
seperate paths (2 ISP's) and there would be lots of re-ordering of
packets that could lead to serious
QoS issues.  GRE and IPSEC are available on simple 1700 hardware, which
makes it attractive too.

Some vendors sell VPN appliances that do this behind the scenes (maybe
not this exact same way), but
simplify configuration and then advertise that its doing load sharing
and failover, and I am trying to create
a solution where I need to provide that kind of functionality, and I
think this would work well.  Its possible to
integrate the OER into this I would suspect, but I don't know much
about that.  Alot of times with OER they
are showing multiple routers at one end communicating to a main router.
  In what I am doing here I have
just one router at each end.

Thanks again,

Brian

------
Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036, CISSP    	e: signal at shreve.net
Network Engineer           			p: 318.213.4709
ShreveNet Inc.             			f: 318.221.6612