[c-nsp] VPN failover / load sharing using IOS?

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Wed Feb 9 12:26:00 EST 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:32:32AM -0600, Brian Feeny wrote:

> Luan,
>
> thanks for sharing that.  It definitely helps to look at a config and
> visualize whats going on.
> Its a twist from what I am familiar with in the sense that your
> encrypting the GRE traffic, and
> therefore all the stuff inside the GRE will be secure as well, making
> encrypted GRE tunnels.

That is the easiest way to do it because your crypto ACL
just matches on GRE between the IPSEC endpoints.  I think
it's even easier now with the tunnel protect where you just
configure it on the tunnel.  I forgot exactly what that looks
like.  I think it removes the need to put the ACL matches in there
and just implicitly says if anything goes out the tunnel just
encrypt it.

a>
> This does seem like a nice way to do it, since either circuit could go
> down, and both are available
> for use.  As far as per-packet......I am thinking that may not work
> well, since these are really two very
> seperate paths (2 ISP's) and there would be lots of re-ordering of
> packets that could lead to serious
> QoS issues.  GRE and IPSEC are available on simple 1700 hardware, which
> makes it attractive too.

You have all the qos pre-classify options to handle the QOS.

> Some vendors sell VPN appliances that do this behind the scenes (maybe
> not this exact same way), but
> simplify configuration and then advertise that its doing load sharing
> and failover, and I am trying to create
> a solution where I need to provide that kind of functionality, and I
> think this would work well.  Its possible to
> integrate the OER into this I would suspect, but I don't know much
> about that.  Alot of times with OER they
> are showing multiple routers at one end communicating to a main router.
>   In what I am doing here I have
> just one router at each end.

I've never had a chance to work on a setup like that just yet
so I don't know if it will work.  Eventually I need to try it.