[c-nsp] Re: Vlans and catalyst 2950

Christopher E. Brown chris.brown at acsalaska.net
Thu Feb 10 15:33:45 EST 2005

matthew zeier wrote:
> My non-scientific method was to replace all the 2950s with 2970 running the
> EI image.  Though I also never saw your exact problem since I wasn't running
> VTP on the 2950s and had to manually add Vlans anways.

I have seen this on the 3524XL as well.

A VLAN can be in the VLAN database via VTP or manual add, and gi0/1 and
gi0/2 are wide open trunks.  If, no access port is in a vlan, PVST+
stays blocking on both trunks for that vlan.  A single access port in
the VLAN (be it up/up or up/down) gets the traffic moving. (Ugh!)