[c-nsp] Site to site VPN

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Feb 11 03:35:48 EST 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, simon.pitwood wrote:

> Hope someone out there can help, I have two sites connected with site to
> site VPN and my understanding is that they should be able to see each others
> LAN's and PC's?  I have set this up but this is not the case, if I take
> control of a machine in one office I cannot ping or see the other office's
> LAN etc.

Ys, they should be able to see each other.  That is, of course, the whole
purpose of a site-to-site VPN.  This can get tricky if not planned properly
and you wind up with overlapping private networks, as a mild example.

First try pinging a unicast address on the remote lan.  If that works but
you can't browse using Micro$oft networking, you may need to add helper
addresses,  tweak DNS, etc.

If you can't ping a remote unicast address, verify that the IPSEC tunnel
is coming up and recheck your router/firewall VPN configs.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/