[c-nsp] BGP Upstream in different interfaces.

Philip Smith pfs at cisco.com
Sun Feb 13 17:46:40 EST 2005

Alexandra Alvarado said the following on 14/02/2005 17:11:

> I have three ISP Provider for backup, and via BGP I have been configured
> three network group each one preferred for each provider and as backup for
> the others (adding as-path prepend), it works well for download  but for
> upstream all the traffic only goes for one preferred interface (local
> preference 120).

Setting local pref high on one interface will generally make that
interface prefered for outbound traffic.

> I would like to know if is possible to choose the upstream traffic by
> selected networks without applying "service policy" in the interface but by
> BGP in the neighbors?

Of course. But it depends on what you hear from your upstreams. If all
three give you the full Internet routing table, removing the local-pref
120 will give you some semblence of outbound load balancing (which is a
start but will need to be worked on depending on each provider's
relative AS path length to the "centre of the internet"). If all three
give you just the default route, you might need to review this so that
at least two give you some part of the routing table so you can
loadbalance outbound. Check out the NANOG 32 Multihoming tutorial for
ideas: ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/pfs/seminars/NANOG32-BGP-Multihoming.pdf.

philip