[c-nsp] L2TP/VPDN in 12.2(25)S2

David Luyer david at luyer.net
Wed Feb 16 17:31:41 EST 2005

> It seems that some time between 12.2(14)S and 12.2(25)S, Cisco have
> changed the way the feature sets work so that ADSL termination
> functionality (I.e. L2TP/VPDN) isn't in any 12.2(25)S2 feature set I've
> tried. (IP, Service Provider and Enterprise - with 12.2(14)S it was in
> base IP)
>
> Does anyone have any pointers on how to get VPDN working on 12.2(25)S2?
> (I have the FR-BUS-72= license, so there's no problem there but it
> didn't come with any obvious "You need to type <foo> to get this to
> work" documentation) I have a TAC case open but it seems the answer
> isn't so obvious that they could give me a solution on the spot.

There are a number of features not in the later 12.2S trains because
they were only 'accidentally' in the earlier 12.2S trains, so they
were removed until they could be deliberately added into later trains
(with proper testing) as I understand it.

Examples include:

	VPDN - Unofficially in 12.2(14)S

	MPLS NetFlow Egress - Unofficially in 12.2(14)S and 12.2(18)S

They're there, but if they're buggy don't expect any support out of
Cisco because they're not officially there and are completely
untested in these releases.  As I understand it, both are scheduled
to be re-added and properly tested later in 12.2S.

The answer for now is most likely "run 12.3(12a)[*] until a 12.2S release
with official VPDN support comes out".

David.

[*] 12.3(12a) is quite a good release for most VPDN scenarios -- the
    best one since 12.2(15)T8 IMHO -- we have one router where it has
    a buffer leak causing IO memory exhaustion, but it works very well
    on all the others.