[c-nsp] Jumbo frames, MPLS, and Metro Ethernet

Michael Smith mksmith at noanet.net
Thu Feb 17 16:23:04 EST 2005

On 2/16/05 1:33 PM, "Greg Schwimer" <gschwimer at godaddy.com> wrote:

> Heh... of course it's that easy!  I was wondering what experiences
> others might have had with allowing jumbo frames in an MPLS network that
> provides internet transit services to its connected edge nets.  Are
> there any "gotchas" to consider?

The biggest issue I've found is not whether or not to transport, but what
specific ports on what specific cards on what specific devices will support
jumbo frames.  We've run into issues where we *thought* jumbos were
supported then come to find out it's only on the first 3 out of 18 ports.

Be sure to confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt that the frame-size you're
looking for is supported on the hardware you have/plan to purchase.

Mike
--
Michael K. Smith
206-219-7116 (work)     866-662-6380 (NOC)