[c-nsp] mpls mtu of 1492

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Fri Feb 18 02:48:54 EST 2005

Cisco 2950T doesn't support up to baby giants frame size, but you can
increase "system mtu" to 2018.
In most case for MPLS, you just needs to increase MTU to accomodate MPLS
SHIM label size you need.
I think 1520 bytes will be enough for most cases unless you use more
than 5 depths stack of MPLS label.

Most important thing is that you have to maintain same MTU setting in
all equipments from same physical networks to prevent some issue with
OSPF routing or others.

I talked to Cisco guys about standardization of ethernet MTU support.
But Cisco uses a lot of OEM manufacturing outsourcing, and they use
different ethernet chips.
So it is not possible unless Cisco change outsourcing contract to
mandate those support.

Hyun