[c-nsp] 7200-I/O high inlet/outlet temperature

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Mon Feb 21 12:40:23 EST 2005

I am having one of our NPE-G1/7200VXR routers reload unexpectedly the
last few days.
One of the things I noticed was that the I/O module is throwing
environmental alarms:

00:00:15: %ENVM-4-ENVWARN: I/O Cont Outlet measured at 42C/107F
01:00:51: %ENVM-4-ENVWARN: I/O Cont Outlet measured at 42C/107F

The normal operating range for an I/O Cont according to Cisco is 104F
max.

Whats interesting, is the G1 reports its inlet/outlet as OK:

dal-lone-gw1#show environment al
Power Supplies:
         Power Supply 1 is Zytek AC Power Supply. Unit is on.
         Power Supply 2 is Zytek AC Power Supply. Unit is on.

Temperature readings:
         NPE Inlet        measured at 33C/91F
         NPE Outlet       measured at 34C/93F
         I/O Cont Inlet   measured at 36C/96F
         I/O Cont Outlet  measured at 42C/107F :Temperature in Warning
range!

Voltage readings:
         +3.45 V       measured at +3.47 V
         +5.15 V       measured at +5.23 V
         +12.15 V      measured at +12.24 V
         -11.95 V      measured at -11.85 V

Since the I/O module has no fans of its own, I would think that if the
problem was indeed
an environmental problem in the cabinet, it would effect the G1 as
well.  In any case
I am looking to approach this two ways, first increase the airflow in
the cabinet, and if that
doesn't fix it, then swap out the I/O Controller.

Has anyone battled this type of issue before, where the NPE temperature
is fine, but the I/O
is in alarm?  Was your I/O reloading?  Heat causes very strange
problems with computers,
and if its indeed an environmental issue, then the DE is probably
pulling his hair out looking
at the stack trace on this one........

Brian

------
Brian Feeny, CCIE #8036, CISSP    	e: signal at shreve.net
Network Engineer           			p: 318.213.4709
ShreveNet Inc.             			f: 318.221.6612