[c-nsp] Cisco 4948's

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue Feb 22 18:15:32 EST 2005

> The Sup5 switching engine is 48 Gbps (96G marketing), which means
> you get 48 ports non-blocking on the 4948. When comparing it to
> the 3750G-48, it's worth noting that the 4948 isn't a 48+4 port
> switch. (Only 48 of the 52 ports can be active at the same time).

Can all 52 ports be active just not pumping 1gig of data?  Or can you
only have 48 port in 'no shut' mode?

> The 4948 runs the same software as the 4500 Sup2+/3/4/5, which
> also means you get the same features. For example, the 4948 does
> VRF Lite, which the 3750 *still* doesn't support.

It is about time Cisco did this.  What would be really cool is if they
made a 1 RU chassis that supported a 6500 series blade.  That way we
could start with 1RU in small datacenter deployments then upgrade to a
6509 chassis and use the same card.

-Matt