[c-nsp] Inverse multiplexing DS3s to larger interfaces?

Thomas D.Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Wed Feb 23 12:08:25 EST 2005

We've currently got a pair of GSRs tied together with 7 DS3s from two
different carriers and are load balancing via OSPF.  This
method has worked pretty well, but the technique tops out at
maximum-paths 8 on the GSR.

I'm looking for a more scalable way to multiplex these DS3s into
something larger and feed them into my GSRs to reduce the number of
layer 3 paths between the two locations.

Going to larger interfaces is currently not an option with one of the
carriers, and we want to maintain dual carriers for redundancy if
possible.  We're currently using the 6 Port Packet over DS3 cards and
the interfaces don't support multilink PPP or multilink frame-relay.

What have folks used that worked well for this application?

The Cisco ONS 15454 using enhanced DS3 cards looks like it
might be a possibility, but I don't have any experience with the
platform.

TIA!

--
Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Thomas D. Simes                                 simestd at netexpress.com