[c-nsp] Cisco 4948's

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Feb 23 14:23:55 EST 2005

--On Wednesday, February 23, 2005 14:04 -0500 Adam Crosby
<acrosby at nps.k12.va.us> wrote:

>> The 10 and 12 port 3550 and 3750 models are not enough ports for what
>> want to do.
>
> Common complaint. Even outside of metro applications, everyone wants a
>
> good 24/48 port SFP w/10GE uplink, or even a 16 port GBIC switch (yes
> GBICs are still alive and well) w/port channeling and some basic jumbo
>
> frame capabilities, for gige aggregation.

Personally I really like GBIC or SFPs.  Mostly because they give me
flexibility in what I connect to at the physical layer.  What I don't like
is Cisco locking us into THEIR SFPs and GBICs.  There is literally no
difference among a lot of the optical SFPs.  Plus, optics, and even copper
transceivers (though less so) fail.  By putting those bits in a replaceable
module you can swap them when they do instead of replacing a switch or
mainboard or whatever.

Just My $.02