[c-nsp] Cisco 4948's

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Feb 23 14:45:05 EST 2005

> Personally I really like GBIC or SFPs.  Mostly because they give me
> flexibility in what I connect to at the physical layer.  What I don't like
> is Cisco locking us into THEIR SFPs and GBICs.

Yes, the Cisco policy is unacceptable. We buy most of our SFPs from Zycko,
which sells Prolabs SFPs that work just fine in 3750/3560, even if these
are "locked" according to Cisco.

Should Cisco come out with new models that *only* accepted SFPs purchased
from Cisco, we would most likely vote with our wallet and stop buying
Cisco switches.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no