[c-nsp] Inverse multiplexing DS3s to larger interfaces?

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Feb 23 21:47:45 EST 2005

Tom,

  Find out if you can get 'EC1' from your carrier.  an EC1 is the
electrical version of an STS1, It is a DS-3 with the SONET wrapper,  51
mbps.  If you can get EC1, then you can plug them into a ONS 15454 and
*** I THINK *** map the STS1s into an OC-12c into your router.  The
issue with muxing the DS-3s outside the router is you lose the per
circuit statistics and if one drops or has errors it will be a bitch to
find.  You would need 2 15454s, one on each end.  Plug all the EC1s
together and link the DCC channels.  I think you can take an OC-12c
into an ONS and map the STS1s over different 'rings'  each DS-3 pair
would be a ring to the ONS.   You might not be able to do it with the
CTC but you should be able to map everything with TL1 commands.
You'll have to make sure the carrier tunnels the DCC bits through their
network so you don't see their SONET internals.

It is an ugly  'solution' but it might work,  again, any DS-3 goes down
and the OC-12c is worthless.  Can you get dark fiber or a lambda from
the carrier?  Get a 2.5 Ghz wave and run OC-48 over it

-Matt