[c-nsp] Cisco 3550 QoS to limit FTP

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Jan 4 00:31:56 EST 2005

IMHO it's a lot easier to simply implement traffic shaping to the one
machine that's doing the FTP transfers.  Let's say your connected via
T1, well then just allocate 384K to that machine's IP number.  I have
never found the prioritization stuff to work worth a damn unless you
had a link like a point-to-point link where the link was guarenteed
bandwidth.

Granted this restriction is in force at night too even when you have
the bandwidth - but it sounds like you don't want to do these transfers
at night.

If it was me I'd just simply restrict them to at night and let
the fools squawk about it.  Even if your dumping a full T1 to your
clients during the day, unless they themselves have multiple T1s
your going to be tossing their Internet connection into the
toilet right when their own users want to use it.

Ted