[c-nsp] ip to switchport mapping

barney gumbo barney.gumbo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 13:12:57 EST 2005

I am trying to match up host ip addresses with switch-port locations
and produce a nice file as output.  Kiwi Cat-Tools is one way of doing
this but I've had some challenges there (i.e. not free) I'm hoping to
accomplish this with Unix instead.

The network in question has a couple routers with 7 or 8 switches with
roughly 12 vlans.  A couple of the switches are CatOS the rest of the
boxes are IOS.

I can use clogin from rancid to login to each box and get the arp or
mac/cam tables, the problem is I don't know how to merge the info
together and include unique entries.  One annoyance is that CatOS and
IOS both display mac addresses in different formats.

Is anyone aware of a tool or set of tools that could help me
accomplish this without having to do extensive text manipulation and
shell scripting?  In other words, has anyone come across anything that
has similar functionality to Kiwi Cat Tools and it's sw-port and arp
reporting functionality, with the exception that it can be run on Unix
from a shell?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Barn