[c-nsp] 3550 QoS not working as expected

Tim Devries tdevries at northrock.bm
Thu Jan 6 21:28:02 EST 2005

Yes, I did read that they are collected from the hardware counters,
therefore the counter discrepancy.  However in real time when I view the
traffic graph, it still show bandwidth spikes.  It more an issue of
semantics than anything else, because I really never gave much of a care
about the details of the QoS stats, just knowing some packets are classified
as dropped shows that the configuration should be working (at least to a
degree...).

The monitoring software grabs the interface counters through snmp.  I would
assume (perhaps erroneously?) that the 'real' time counters would still not
show traffic above 3Mb/s if QoS was actually working.

I'm fairly sure a new image will solve the problem.  I will try an aggregate
policy and apply it to my upstream link (so I can limit both ways -- i.e. it
may be possible the snmp oid's are reversed in software on what is input and
output?) to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Tim