[c-nsp] 12.0.30S (NPE-150)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sun Jan 9 01:04:09 EST 2005

> -----Original Message-----
> From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
> [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net]On Behalf Of Roy
> Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 11:34 PM
> Cc: 'cisco-nsp'
> Subject: RE: [c-nsp] 12.0.30S (NPE-150)
>

> >From what I can tell on CCO, the following have reached end-of-life for
> software upgrades
>
> NPE-100
> NPE-150
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/prod_eol_noti
> ce09186a00
> 8032d41c.html
> NPE-200
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/prod_eol_noti
> ce09186a00
> 8032d592.html
> NPE-175
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/prod_eol_noti
> ce09186a00
> 80092106.html

Yes, but the NPE is a component of a router, Cisco releases IOS for routers,
not for components.

What EOL means for components in terms of IOS I think is something along the
lines of "we won't deliberately remove support for it but if we need the
space in the image or there's a conflict, support goes"

I'm sure if there had been an easy way to avoid it with CSCec14039 or
CSCee04235
they wouldn't have knocked NPE 100 and 150 support.  But those were internal
microcode bugs, to fix them they probably had to make the microcode bigger
for the NPE's which meant no room left for the NPE 100 and 150 microcode.

> If I read the following correctly, the only NPE left for non-VXR is the
> NPE-225

Which is a shame as I recall there's some hardware issues with certain older
PA
cards and certain of their hardware revisions and that NPE.

Ted