[c-nsp] VLSM

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 17:27:56 EST 2005

there is no other way to do it. cidr / vlsm are the standard for 10+ years

as i was just discussing here its unfortunate so many network courses continue
to teach classful networking and so many devices default to classful behaviour
eg guessing a /8 netmask when typing a 10.xxx address or how windows will not
communicate with .0 or .255 hosts in former class C space

cisco is terrible for this - cisco dudes why is that? there are some classful
bugs still, plus courses that teach classful

Steve