[c-nsp] WS-X6x48-GE-TX architecture

lists at hojmark.org lists at hojmark.org
Tue Jan 11 17:09:12 EST 2005

> So, can anyone confirm/deny my recollection that the
> WS-X6148-GE-TX and WS-X6548-GE-TX are both limited to 6Gb/s

The 6148-GE has a connection to the 16 Gbps shared bus, but because of the
ASIC design is still 8:1 over-subscribed. The 6548-GE has a single 8 Gbps
fabric connection and is also 8:1 over-subscribed (8 ports to 1 Gbps, as you
say).

> and the WS-X6748-GE-TX is required for full line-rate on all
> ports?

The 6748-GE has two 20 Gbps connections to the fabric, so it's not strictly
non-blocking. It's pretty close, however, and I'd say you're unlikely to see
a problem in the real world. See http://tinyurl.com/4bflm. (And hey, you
could always use it as a 38 og 40-port blade, if you really worry about
over-subscription).

-A