[c-nsp] WS-X6x48-GE-TX architecture

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 16:08:31 EST 2005

On 11/01/2005 18:38, Arnold Nipper wrote:

> On 11.01.2005 18:33 Ryan O'Connell wrote
>
>> A while ago, there was a discussion on here about the differences in
>> architecture between the various WS-X6x48-GE-TX modules and the
>> resulting maximum throughput of those cards. Unfortunately, although
>> I meant to keep a copy I appear to have deleted it and I can't find a
>> reference on www.cisco.com.
>>
>> So, can anyone confirm/deny my recollection that the WS-X6148-GE-TX
>> and WS-X6548-GE-TX are both limited to 6Gb/s (6 groups of 8 ports,
>> each on an ASIC with a 1Gb/s connection to the backplane) and the
>> WS-X6748-GE-TX is required for full line-rate on all ports? (This is
>> with a Sup720, no other daughter cards etc)
>>
>> (I assume the architecture is similar within a card "family", so the
>> WS-X6516A-GBIC will have the same total throughput as a WS-X6548-GE-TX)
>>

> Have a look at
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheet0900aecd8017376e.html.
> This URL has comprehensive informations about all 10/100- &
> 10/100/1000-MPBS Ethernet Interface Modules (three klicks on cisco.com
> ;-))

Unfortunately, it's not particularly detailed in terms of architecture -
it repeatedly implies the classic cards are 32Gb/s for example, meaning
the whole system, and only in passing mentions the cards themselves are
8:1 oversubscribed.

The manner in which they're oversubscribed is important too - if I know
ports 1-6 are on the same 1Gb/s connection to the bus, I'll avoid
putting, say, uplinks on port 1 and then high bandwidth devices on ports
2 and 3, which I might otherwise do on something like a 3500 or 2900
series)
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_data_sheet0900aecd801459a7.html
mentions that the WS-X6516A-GBIC has one 8-Gbps full-duplex connection
to the switch fabric, but doesn't say if the full bandwidth is available
on all possible combinations of ports.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time