[c-nsp] VLSM

matthew zeier mrz at intelenet.net
Wed Jan 12 01:23:43 EST 2005

>> When my sales droids and customers ask for a class C, they get told that
>> we don't have any class C addresses available, but they can have an
>> appropriate subnet of one of our ARIN allocations when they fill out a
>> justification form.  We include a blurb about subnetting and slash
>
> What do you use for your "justification form"?

I wrote a document that describes why we need justification and sort of
mirrors ARIN's form (sample available on request).  I've inserted it into
the sales process - nothing moves forward until we have a signed contract
and the IP form (without it, we default to /29s).  And us IP provisioning
guys are such a hard ass about it that sales knows not to bother assigning a
ticket over unless they have that form.

During contract renewals we nmap their address space and if it doesn't meet
our requirements we ask for justification again.  At this point they either
justify and we like or we change netmask or customer forks over more money.
The latter seems to encourage one other first two options.

And in some cases additional /24s are so "cost prohibitive" that the
customer's encouraged to plead their case to ARIN and get their own space.