[c-nsp] VLSM

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Wed Jan 12 01:41:19 EST 2005

That is actually not true.  If the customer can prove utilization
to ARIN's satisfaction then you can sell them what they want.

  I recently intercepted a customer
> request for "another class c" and found they already had several.  When
> they were told we'd need documentation on how they're using
> their previous
> space before they could have more, they blew a gasket.  Well,
> ARIN's going
> to ask us.

We don't generally have that problem because our sales people
not only try to sell them Internet connectivity but service
on their internal network as well, and as a result the sales
people at some point in the sales process have had a discussion
with the customer as to exactly what they are putting on there.

Also it's important to keep in mind the judicious use of contracts.
Your customer contracts should include boilerplate that states
in effect that the customer cannot lie to you - "any misrepresentation
on the part of the customer may result in penalties or termination
of service" is usually how it goes, along with about a paragraph
that makes the customer agree to pay for any legal defense you
need to put up because of their actions, etc. etc.

And, your IP allocation form should explain in plain language that
additional IP allocations require justification, and that
BECAUSE of the contract that they ALREADY signed, that they are
required under contract to supply ACCURATE utilization information, and
that if it's not accurate then they are required by contract to pay for
your legal defense if ARIN should decide to pull your block.

The fact that ARIN has never sued anybody for this is of absolutely
no consequence.  The customer isn't going to know that, and the
type of customers that are too lazy or disorganized to bother
justifying IP allocations are easily cowed by the hint that they
might have to pay a lawyer for anything.

Ted