[c-nsp] AS5300 Console/Card Problems

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.sz
Thu Jan 13 04:06:17 EST 2005

On Thursday 13 January 2005 08:52, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Take a screwdriver and completely disassemble it then put it
> back together.  There could be a loose connection or a screw
> that got jammed in a bad place.

As it were, I came into the office at 4AM to work on it :(. Like you suggest,
I took the whole unit apart and noticed multiple points of concern (bent
jumper terminals, e.t.c.).

The biggest concern, and the main cause of the problem, was a very very badly
seated backplane, specifically the lower port that plugs the mainboard. More
interestingly was the fact that the right half of that port had all its pins
bent like Humpty-Dumpty sat on the thing and used pliers to twist them for
good measure - very very bad.

Anyway, I spent an hour re-aligning them, and not managing to break any. I
then replaced the mainboard and voila, the console port was now working! I
re-inserted the PRI and MICA cards, and the box is working fine!

It's very strange, really, the amount of harm inflicted on the device.

> And also once you've spent the time doing that, if it's still
> not working you will have enough sense of satisfaction that you
> gave it a good shot, that throwing it in the garbage won't
> bug you so much. ;-)

Well, I'm very satisfied I didn't have to spend that much more shipping it
back for replacement, needless to say, customs duties.

Thanks for all your help.

Mark.