[c-nsp] cisco 3750 arp timeout

Robert Crowe rocrowe at cisco.com
Thu Jan 13 17:13:38 EST 2005

Matt,

        I believe I ran into the same issue your talking about awhile
back when I was doing systems work. Our issue was with pairs of
servers running Win2k Advanced Server and Microsoft clustering. The
storage was EMC. It ended up being the way Microsoft clustering sends
the gratuitous arp. One way to tell is to failover the services and
immediately do "clear arp" on the switches they are plugged into. We
ended writing a script that would snmp poll the virtual address for
the hostname of the box. When a failover occurred the hostname would
change and the script would telnet to the 2 switches and clear the
arp entries.

- -
Robert Crowe