[c-nsp] Deferred packets on 2950 10/full interface

Michael K. Smith mksmith at noanet.net
Sat Jan 15 16:26:03 EST 2005

On 1/15/05 6:25 AM, "Mike" <network at infinity77.net> wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> Can you please tell me why running cdp is not recommended?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Hayes

In a network with a lot of customer facing ports I find it is a bit too
chatty about topology.  I know you can enable/disable on a per-port basis,
but I find that, in general, people have a tendency to forget to disable it
on *all* customer facing ports.  Thus, a 'show cdp neighbor' usually got us
at least a couple of customer ports in the output.  By extension, that means
I was showing up in a few as well.

If you don't have any customer facing ports and/or are running it purely on
an isolated network then it's probably fine.

Mike