[c-nsp] Deferred packets on 2950 10/full interface

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Jan 15 16:45:13 EST 2005

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 01:26:03PM -0800, Michael K. Smith wrote:
> In a network with a lot of customer facing ports I find it is a bit too
> chatty about topology.

So what are you customers going to do with the information "I'm connected
to a switch named $foo, on a port named 3/17, and the switch's IP address
is $bar"?

While I value security, the urge to switch off CDP is something I've never
fully understood - it's quite useful (think "customer has a box with two
serial ports and has hooked up the wrong one to his T1") in troubleshooting.

There are IOS releases with CDP bugs, of course, and you don't want to
run these with CDP enabled.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de