[c-nsp] PIX VPN Mesh w/ OSPF

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Sat Jan 15 19:26:46 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 02:22:04PM -0500, su1droot wrote:
> You will have to watch out the PIX will not route traffic between VPN
> tunnels in the current 6.x release.  I've seen note that this feature
> will be in the upcoming 7.0 release, but i don't hold my breath.

I've helped troubleshoot some issues similar to this
lately.  I asked this same question for a deployment
we were doing yesterday and I was told the same thing about
7.0 that it should have the ability to route traffic between
VPN's.

> Also to support a routing protocol across the the tunnels (since IPSec
> doesn't support multicast or broadcast)  you should run GRE across the
> IPSec tunnels.  We are doing a similar setup at a customer who is
> doing IPSec PIX to PIX and GRE from and internal router over the IPSec
> to an internal route at the remote end.  You will have to play with ip
> mtu and mss values on the GRE tunnel tho.

I also helped troubleshoot two issues like this last week.
One was with a PIX as the IPSEC termination box and the
other was with a VPN3000.  The hardest thing to get working
was the routing over the tunnels and at the same time
make sure you do not have a recursive routing problem.
Especially between the IPSEC termination box and the router
sitting behind it doing the GRE termination.

Just an fyi..

Rodney