[c-nsp] Wipe a Device?

Ryan O'Connell ryan at complicity.co.uk
Sun Jan 16 18:07:48 EST 2005

On 16/01/2005 21:20, Djerk Geurts wrote:

>Dir all
>
>Will show you all file systems. Except for disks (disk0, disk1)

You need dir /all to show deleted files too.

If you're paranoid, you need to format the flash and fill it completely
with other data (IOS images, files full of nulls, anything really) to
make sure the config really is gone - on many devices, you can't
actually properly delete files without formatting the flash anyway.
Given that flash is usually only 24 or 64MB or so and the predictability
of the text, it's pretty easy to find where any old config files are on
the disk.

This all of course pertains to IOS only - it different with different
Cisco OSes. Wiping a data centre full of equipment because you have to
hand it back isn't as easy as it first seems, having been there before
now more than once. Well over 50% of second hand Cisco equipment I've
seen has some other (Usually defunct, but not always) ISPs configs still
in flash.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan at complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time