[c-nsp] cat6000 6548 vs 6148 card

lee.e.rian at census.gov lee.e.rian at census.gov
Tue Jan 18 11:10:29 EST 2005

Hi All,

I've been following the various threads about the cat6000 architecture &
have had all my questions answered (thanks all :-) except one.  If you're
going to have only one power over ethernet card to support IP phones, is it
worthwhile to get the 6548 card instead of the 6148 card?

We're looking at the 6748+DFC3 cards for servers.  But we also have to
support some cisco IP phones and the 6748 doesn't do POE so it looks like
we've got a choices of either the WS-X6548-GE-45AF or WS-X6148-GE-45AF
card.  As far as I can tell, the only difference between the cards is the
8Gb connection to the SFC.  Both cards have a max frame size of 1518 bytes,
same size port buffers, same 8:1 bandwidth over-subscription and neither
can have a DFC daughter card.  Considering that every other card in the
switch will be a fabric-enabled card with a DFC3, is there any advantage to
having a WS-X6548-GE-45AF instead of a WS-X6148-GE-45AF card?

Thanks,
Lee