[c-nsp] how to validate cell rates?

MADMAN david.madland at qwest.com
Thu Jan 20 12:33:16 EST 2005

Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:29:30AM -0600, MADMAN wrote:
>
>>  Try shaping down a little more, roughly 10%.  I do know that earlier
>>IOS did not always take into account the overhead in the ATM cell when
>>shaping.  I have seen this several times in the past though admittedly
>>not in 12.3.
>

> The values listed for cells/seconds in "show atm vc <name>" are
> correctly calculated for 53 bytes/cell (full size).  Like this:
>
> Cisco-M-XIV>sh atm vc sp1-936
> ATM2/0.129: VCD: 46, VPI: 15, VCI: 129, Connection Name: sp1-936
> UBR, PeakRate: 2150 (5071 cps)
>                      ^^^^
> (PVC configured to "ubr 2150" instead of the 'documented' value of
> "ubr 2303", so that the customers won't suffer while we argue with
> the Telco)
>
> So are you telling me that earlier IOSes sometimes used 48 bytes for
> calculating cells/s., or that the displayed values are wrong?
>
> gert

   In a nutshell, yes to your first question.  A couple of us here had a
couple a cases open but could never got anywhere.  knowing how to
resolve the problem and realizing we were not loosing any bandwidth it
wasn't worth battling.

   Dave

--
David Madland
CCIE# 2016

"Emotion should reflect reason not guide it"